Friday, September 22, 2006

The umbilical cord of painting

And she said, " The creative process is almost like an umbilical cord." I thought this represented a perfect metaphor for the way painting facilitates a relationship and connection to divine love, where flesh and spirit are ecologically unified in the experience of creating inspired work. The painting process from this perspective is a meditation experienced first through letting go, then opening to the true nature of what is, and then receiving the direction, love and power to move. Jesus shared that "I am vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit". (John 15). God as divine and infinite motherly Life Force puts a seed within humanity and hopes it to blossom. But when you are debilitated by emotional moods that spin out of control, the capacity to live life freely and abundantly is made impossible. One important function for painting is that it provides a level of aesthetic pleasue and helps to redirect one's mental focus, thereby relieving psycho-biological stress.

However, I am realizing that my spiritual and devotional life has never been in complete union with my painting experiences. Although the themes of my work have been transformative and redemptive, the execution of an authentic practice, free from preconceived notions and cultural restraints, has been difficult to achieve. Instead, my work has been conditioned by an academic art background focused on the communicative formalities considerations to the quality of the end product. This overlooks the spontaneous, childlike faith in self-exploration and playful experimentation that facilitates an authentic process of self-inquiry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home